My name is Laura Hackney, a graphic designer born and raised in northeastern Massachusetts. I started getting interested in the visual arts when I was a little girl, starting small with paints, pencils, and markers taken to the kitchen table, and moving to digital platforms as I entered high school. Graphic design became an immediate interest for me as I got older and neared college, the perfect combination between the visual arts that I loved, and the interest in digital platforms and computers I had gotten from my father. I have since worked towards honing my skills as a designer, working with many different disciplines within the whole. In my spare time, I still enjoy pursuing these illustrative pursuits from my childhood (sans the table...usually), alongside my digital projects.
I studied Graphic Design and Digital media at Champlain College in Burlington, Vermont, minoring in Marketing as well. My studies in Graphic Design included typography, publication, three dimensional design, website design, branding, and print production. Additionally, studies included focuses on critical and design thinking, and the importance of integration within my work, and careful attention to reasoning and logic was learned. When I'm not designing, I like to spend my time with a good book in hand, catching up with friends, playing with my dog, or hiking and exploring to find new amazing views and adventures.
Proficient in Adobe Dreamweaver, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign, and Adobe Photoshop. Able to create orthographic drawings and three-dimensional models, and proficient illustration skills.
Familiar with working in teams to address creative challenges and problems, utilizing member skills effectively to complete a task. Understand creative and business writing techniques and presentation styles. Worked alongside team members to establish marketing briefs and plans for local companies and brands.
Known for being empathetic, determined, analytical, and personable.
< Bachelor’s Degree of Fine Arts in Graphic Design and
Minor in Marketing
- 3.97 GPA; Trustee's List in Fall 2014, President's List for the fourth time in Spring 2015
- Member of the Champlain College chapter of the National Residence Hall Honorary
- Graduated Summa cum laude, Highest Average in the Division of Communications and Creative Media
- Supported Design Team in the design of weekly projects and deliverables.
- Redesigned visuals to accompany presentation, updated OneTeam logo, assisted in rearrangement of website layout and hierarchy.
- Designed quarterly newsletter, assisted in designing trade show graphics and deliverables, designed weekly newsletter and web materials, attended professional development lunches.
Sales Assistant and Junior Framer
- Developed techniques to frame artwork, and communicated with customers to select proper frame and mat to fit their pieces.
Vice President and President
- Participate in and organize club events such as Accepted Student’s Day, fundraising, and the Activities Fair
- Plan and attend weekly horseback riding lessons at local barn
- Manage weekly and year-long club financials and commitments
- Work with faculty, the student government, and outside professionals